02 September 2010

so much to write, so little time!

Hello world! I promise that I am alive and well--I have simply been detained by an inordinate amount of paperwork issued by the Lesson Plan Monster. I am conquering these tasks, though, so hopefully life will begin to settle down some.

First off, I would like to announce that I am officially a teacher!! I have completed my first week of being in charge of my own classroom (from the writing to the execution of lesson plans) and while there have been several ups and downs, I have great students and awesome co-teachers.

After a couple of days of settling in to my new apartment, host family, and hometown I went with my host mom and Ho Jin to visit Galsan Elementary School. To get to school every day, I walk about fifteen minutes to the bus stop and then take a twenty minute ride to Galsan. From there, it is a two minute walk to the school. The commute is a little longer than I would have wanted, but I do not mind the extra time to read my Kindle. After arriving at school that first day, I immediately set to work cleaning my classroom. It had been used over the summer to teach math because there was construction in the other rooms and took the full day to straighten up. My first official day at school was on Wednesday, August 25th. While I did not teach, I got to give a small speech the students and meet the rest of the staff. The kids are adorable and I love saying "hi" to them in the halls.

My first day of actual teaching was on Thursday. I met the first and second grade classes. In Korea, English training is not officially required to start until third grade. But because Galsan is so small, I am able to teach all seven grades (K-6). There is no textbook for K-2, so I am currently working on phonics with them as well as introducing other simple topics. I am slightly concerned regarding coming up with enough topics to fill the year.

During the course of the week, I teach twenty different classes, each requiring its own lesson plan. This has been rather overwhelming, especially this first week, and yesterday I was not sure if I would be able to handle the workload. I want to teach high quality lessons, but if I were to devote two hours to the planning of each lesson, I would have at a minimum a sixty-hour work week. In addition, I am finding it difficult to effectively control a class when I cannot adequately express myself in Korean. Today, after a noisy group of first graders, I had a little heart-to-heart with God regarding my stress level and feelings of being overwhelmed. I was reminded of something:

This is my first time teaching on a full-time basis. I do not yet have the experience to automatically know what to do in each situation (if that ever comes). There will be mistakes and that is okay. The important thing is not to do this perfectly and spend every waking moment planning for the classroom. That is called burnout-in-a-month. The important thing is to take the time to figure out what works with this classroom, love my students, plan and prepare as much as is reasonable, and remember when a lesson does not go as well as anticipated that tomorrow is a new day.

After that, I took a new approach to writing lessons (writing all the lessons for a unit in one go) and was able to crank out eleven lesson plans in one afternoon. (Do I get a Klondike bar for that?) I feel as though the situation is more in control and that I will eventually find some sanity in my teaching.

Beyond teaching, here is some other news of what I have been up to:

I have sampled three of the coffeeshops in town and plan to become the local coffee connoisseur. I like two of them, both in coffee flavour and atmosphere.

I have not had a face-to-face conversation with a native English speaker in two weeks.

I just experienced my first typhoon (the worst typhoon in Korea in a decade) and as a result spent this morning without any electricity in my classroom.

I have been playing my host sister Jisu's flute and loving every minute of it.

Funny Teaching Moment #1: My awesome taekwondo skills came in handy when I was hanging out with some of my first and second graders. They were practicing kicks and so I decided to join them. I amazed them with my high kick. We then moved from martial arts to arm wrestling where I defeated half a dozen seven-year olds.

I went to Seoul with my host family for my first Korean wedding. It was fascinating to compare and contrast the differences of weddings in Korea v America.

There is a Baskin Robbins and a Dunkin Donuts in Hongseong, but I have only sampled the former.

I like octopus.

Well, that is all for the present. I will work harder at updating my blog more frequently!!

No comments:

Post a Comment