20 February 2012

maine road trip

To kick off my February break, Tiffany (my roommate) and I decided to go spend a couple of days in Maine. Neither of us had been there before, so we were excited to see what Maine was like. Surprisingly, driving through the wooded roads made me think of Montana in a way no other New England state has. While there, I got to stay with my friend Shannon from school. We did the typical toursity things: walking through the art district in Portland (not Oregon :) ), exploring the shops, visiting a lighthouse, and walking along the coast taking pictures.

The grand moment of the trip was splurging to sample Maine lobster. Now, I have had lobster tails twice in my life and eaten crab upon occasion, but I have never received a plate with two (yes two-there was a sale and so it was cheaper to get the two than just one) vivid red lobster staring intimidatingly up at me. The waiter gave us our dishes, briefly showing us the crackers and bibs. Just as she started to walk away, she turned and said, "You have done this before, right?" We sheepishly shook our heads, so she walked us through the steps of collecting the meat from these clawed crustaceans. It seemed a little out of place to make a complete mess of our table in a fancy restaurant, but after the initial shock, eating lobster was entertaining and rather tasty. I definitely had a sense of accomplishment after completing the meal.

The trip was lovely and it was great to get out of Boston for a couple of days.

Pictures!!















No comments:

Post a Comment