27 October 2010

change is in the air

I stepped out of my apartment this morning to welcome the smell of snow. Mind, snow has not yet fallen, it just smells like it is coming. Crisp, clean, and freezing the inside of the nose. I love the necessity of a heavier coat and the excuse for a scarf and gloves. And then there are the coloured leaves gathering in piles on the sidewalk. Let's just say that I have been in Southern California for too many "falls" and "winters".

Chaos adequately defines yesterday. After a full day of teaching (six classes), I had a short respite before heading off to Taekwondo for the most intense workout I have had since moving to Hongseong. I worked on a kick that begins as a front kick and then pivots partway through, turning into a side kick. For the whole hour. Exiting the academy happy but exhausted, I then hopped in a cab to attend my first Korean language class in Hongseong. But the driver didn't understand the address! I paid eight thousand won to be dropped off at my co-teacher's house so she could drive me to the language class. Em (my friend who lives in Yesan) joined me for the class, so at least I didn't walk in late alone. (Just as a general note, I would much rather skip out on any given event than walk in late). I was a little weirded out by seeing this high of a concentration of Westerners in Hongseong, but I am really excited to be able to meet other foreigners. The class went well and the journey home was uneventful.

Currently my days are busy but fulfilling, even though I am a bit more homesick than I expected. I keep wondering how cold it will get here this winter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment