31 October 2010

songnisan: round 2 (part 1 of 2)

I was not quite sure what to expect for the teacher's retreat this weekend. All I knew was that it would be overnight and that we would hike in Songnisan. (Quick reminder: I hiked to the top of Songnisan during orientation with other Fulbrighters). So, being slightly hesitant but excited nonetheless, I packed my overnight bag and met the school bus in front of my apartment complex. There were about fifteen school members, including the principal, vice principal, janitor, and a couple of secretaries. I was relieved to see Yuna and Song Sem, the two teachers I am closest to.

The bus ride began with a couple of teachers passing out gallon-sized zip lock bags full of goodies for the retreat. Water, gum, three tangerines, honeyed sliced ginseng, and hand wipes were all included. Then, just as I was settling in for my normal bus-trip nap, one of the teachers cranked the Korean music past the suggested volume level and the PE teacher started dancing and shouting up and down the aisle of the bus. The other teachers clapped with the music (all I have to say about that is two and four, guys, two and four). Not to be outdone, the principal got out a whistle (yes, a whistle-we will touch upon that subject again) and made a strobe light out of his flashlight. I now understand the interior decorations of Korean buses.

After a little over an hour of the bus dance party, we arrived at the Korean president's vacation home. The grounds were beautiful with a lake, fountain, golf course, garden, and jogging track. I am in love with the fall colours and smells. There are not nearly as many colourful trees in Hongseong. We spent a leisurely afternoon walking around and taking pictures.

Once again boarding the buses, we had another musical leg of our journey followed by dinner and checking into the motel. I figured I would have a relaxing evening of games in my motel room with Yuna and Song Sem when I heard a whistle being blown in the hallway. It was the principal, calling us to gather for our trip to the Noraebang!! As we were walking out the door, Yuna asked me if I knew of The Sound of Music. When I responded with, "The hills are alive..." she pointed down the hallway towards the principal and whispered, "The captain." We all laughed.

Now, some may be wondering what Noraebang is: think karaoke on steroids. Flashing lights, loud music, a disco ball, a stage, and extra reverb in the mic. The best part is that a party rents a Noraebang room just for the group. There were even some English songs in the files, so I got to sing with my fellow teachers. This was my first Noraebang experience, but I laughed a lot and had a good time.

The evening concluded with a couple of games of Uno with Yuna and Song Sem followed by a great conversation.

the lake on the walk to the president's home

Song Sem and me on the bamboo bench

pretty sequoias

sunset approaching

posing near one of the bronzes of a previous president

Alanna and Mary: look closely, apparently someone else wants persimmons

evening silhouette 

Yuna and Song Sem

Yuna and me

No comments:

Post a Comment