12 October 2010

taekwondo

During Orientation, I had a fantastic experience in my Taekwondo course and thought that it would be something I would like to pursue during my year in Korea. Now that I am relatively settled in my placement, I decided to look for a Taekwondo academy near my apartment. The whole process was remarkable simple. On Monday, I asked my co-teacher how to go about taking Taekwondo courses, she took me to three academies within five minutes of my apartment and I signed up for the one I liked the best. On Tuesday, I came for my first session. Class was a congregation of nations. There were some middle and high school girls and boys as well as four guys from Switzerland. One of them, Noel, could speak both English and Korean. He had taken Taekwondo training in Korea for a year about a decade ago and has been coming back for two-month stints ever since. Noel helped translate the Korean to English for me and the Korean to German for the other Swiss guys. We could have formed our own UN chapter... The training was hard, but a great workout. I mostly focused on arm blocking positions. Apparently, I can come to the academy anytime after 1:00pm during the week, but my class time is from 6.30-8.00pm. I am excited about tomorrow's lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment