06 March 2011

room 503

The month of February consisted of me taking a second swing at learning Korean. While the classes I took during my six week orientation gave me a grounding in the language, I wanted an opportunity gain a firmer grasp on conversational skills. So filled my suitcase and headed back to Jungwon University (the original orientation site) along with forty-two other ETAs. Not only have the last three and a half weeks helped my language ability, but in them I have deepened friendships with other Fulbrighters and created friendships with Korean university students.

I was nervous entering the CLEA program. I did not feel confident in my Korean, especially my speaking, and this course was daunting. Korean language for six hours a day, six days a week, totaling 126 hours of class seems like a mission of insanity. But the anxiety dissipated as the classes began. Life became a strange timeless routine of waking up, going to class, eating, studying, sleeping, and repeating. I brought games and activities, thinking I would have a couple of free hours. That thought was a little too optimistic. Instead of playing games with friends every night, I grabbed my books and notes and headed to study room 503 for three to five hours of reviewing/practicing the material covered in class.

The study rooms were one of the few places that students could actually hang out at Jungwon. Room 503 had a consistent group of five to eight students every night. While the focus was primarily studying, we had our share of conversation, goofing off, and ordering pizza throughout the weeks. Some of the best evenings were when we invented games to learn the different Korean concepts. Not only were there American students, but we had a couple of  Korean students who came by to work on English (and were more than willing to help me with my Korean homework!!).

Leaving at the end of CLEA was tough. There was an odd mixture of relief that the class was over, excitement to go back to my students, and sadness that I was leaving some incredible friends.

On the whole, my second attempt at learning Korean was a huge success. Not only did I understand what was happening during class and on the exams (!!), but I was able to use my newly developed skills as soon as I got back to my homestay, and when I started teaching again. It was definitely worth the investment of twenty-four days of class with only three days off!!

here is a class photo

  some of the primary 503 members

 with my two instructors

No comments:

Post a Comment