18 September 2010

beach day!

Today was my first day of Chuseok vacation! Chuseok is a Korean holiday similar to Thanksgiving in the United States, and because of it there is no school for a week. For day one of my break, I headed to a beach in Daechan, a little over an hour away by bus. My friend Em who lives in Yesan (20 minutes by bus from me), found the beach and coordinated the trip. We met up in Hongseong and headed off to the coast, arriving and meeting up with Katie, another ETA near where I live. The beach was beautiful, and not too crowded.

Now, it is September. And while it has been warm out, I was suspicious that the water might be too cold for swimming. But the day was gorgeous and I got into my bathing suit to at least get my feet wet. The water was wonderful and Em and were soon delightfully drenched. There were not crashing waves, so we swam out over our heads and had a great time. I would like to report that the Yellow Sea off the coast of South Korea is much saltier than the Pacific Ocean at Newport Beach.

Following our dip, we walked a couple of kilometers along the coast and then headed into town for lunch. Eating street food, I experienced a corn dog that I have never seen in the states. It was as though someone took a regular corn dog and then added an additional layer of french fries. It was interesting, at least. Dessert consisted of papingsu, a Korean dessert of shaved ice, fruit, and a sweet red bean sauce. Yummy.

Our final mini-adventure in Daechan was a journey onto the rocks on the south end of the beach. We climbed around a little and took some more pictures. On the way back to the bus stop, we saw three guys riding horses on the beach. When I come back.... The day was spectacular with great friends, lots of sun and plenty of water. I plan to visit this beach multiple times during the course of the year. Although, I might get the seafood next time I come.

Look at the Beach!!

glamor shot

three chingues (Katie, Joelle, Em)

the coast

playing on the rocks

beautiful water

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Glad to see you're getting a break.

    ReplyDelete