26 July 2010

calligraphy

During orientation, I have the opportunity to take a calligraphy class. Today was our third session. The first week, we explored the history of both Korean and Chinese calligraphy as well as the instruments used in this art. Last week, we started on Korean calligraphy, practicing different types of strokes and writing a few words. Tonight, we worked on a Korean piece and a Chinese piece. Korean phrases are written top to bottom, right to left, and the alphabet is almost identical to what I have been studying in language school. Chinese characters are completely different. It is relaxing to sit and work on calligraphy, but it is difficult to distinguish between "good" and "bad" attempts. Sometimes the instructor's wife (who comes and assists in the class) will hold on to my arm and direct my strokes for a whole project. It was rather weird at first, but now I like seeing how the calligraphy is supposed to be done. It was amusing in class today when I painted a Chinese phrase and the instructor came and exclaimed (through the help of a translator) that it was very fashionable Chinese writing. i am still not quite sure what to make of that.....Overall, the class is refreshingly different from the rest of my day and I am with many great people to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment