25 July 2010

songnisan

Twelve kilometers!! With approximately one third of the hike straight up the mountain! Well, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but it sure felt as though I were trying to walk straight up a mountain.

Let's go back to the beginning. This Sunday morning, I boarded a bus with sixteen other eager adventurers to hike in Songnisan National Park. After our hour-long journey, we opted to climb to the peak Munjangdae, 5.8 kilometers away and 3,300 feet up. 5.8k is not too far of a hike....only 3.6 miles.....right?? 3.6 long and tedious miles. The first half of the hike was great. There was a slight elevation increase, but it was not too difficult. By the third kilometer, the trail decided to make up for it's previous ease and essentially became one grand staircase. We experienced rain, humidity, sun, bugs, and the continual temptation to turn around and head back down the mountain. But the push to the top was worth the effort, and I can calmly state after the fact that I loved the hike (just do not ask me to hike it again tomorrow).

On the top of the mountain, the views were stunning. A mist drifted through the other peaks, sometimes covering the peak on which we were standing. We got to relax, eat our snacks, take pictures, and I even found a small bouldering problem to justify lugging my shoes all the way up the mountain (the rest of the rock was too slick for climbing). Hiking is a wonderful way to experience South Korea, and perfect for a Sunday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment