16 August 2010

about face

During the past month, I have attended multiple workshops and meetings in which the "face" has been explored. Koreans refer to the face in several ways. First, Koreans are generally concerned with saving face. Shame should not be brought on an individual or a group. Also, in Korea, it is expected to have your "game face" or to "turn one's face on" when in public and many other circumstances. Finally, women are essentially required to "put their face on" (referring to make-up) before entering the gaze of the public. In America, we understand these connections, but do not put the same emphasis on always appearing "fine". Korea seems to be a society heavily focused on appearances. In one sense, I understand. It is often good to put forth one's best, or look professional in certain circumstances. But I sometimes wonder what the consequences are of continually displaying a false front. Where is personality? Where is individuality? Why is there intense pressure for girls to have plastic surgery so they can fit the Korean stereotype?

This question is two sided for me. On the one hand, I have to be careful not to fall into the trap of comparing myself to others-especially in relations to look-during my time in South Korea. On the other hand, I am going to be teaching and influencing girls for whom this is a serious reality. How can I speak truth and love without insulting an entire culture? How can I make a difference in the lives of my students? How can impart acceptance and self value regardless of physical appearances? I clearly understand that I cannot (and should not) change an entire culture in one year. But that does not release me from attempting to help the girls that I will teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment