19 August 2010

홍성 and my homestay!

Today has been a particularly crazy day! I woke up bright and early for my 7.45am dorm room check out. After that was accomplished by my roommate and I, I headed downstairs to my final breakfast of rice and these sausage-ish things at Jungwon's Grand Cafeteria. Then began the slow process of departure day. For the first hour, we hung out in the Fishbowl (a meeting room with lots of windows) snapping photos and exchanging goodbyes. We then had a series of info meetings, addresses by the president of the university and the director of Fulbright, and random breaks ending with the departure ceremony. All 107 ETAs lined up in the Auditorium and waited for our name to be called. I was probably in the last third of the group. When my name and school were announced, I stepped forward, located my school principle who was waving at me, accepted the flowers offered by a sixth grade teacher from Galsan Elementary School, bowed, and then stepped back into line. Fortunately, I did not trip, miss my name, or blurt out anything ridiculous. Next came the most awkward part of the day. I had lunch with my principal and fellow teacher, neither of whom knew very much English. We slowly exchanged a few pleasantries and mostly nodded at each other. I then had one final meeting and round of goodbyes before grabbing my luggage and heading out with my new boss.

The ride to Hongseong was nice. We talked a little and stopped at a rest stop for ice cream halfway to town. My family pictures on my ipod touch were great to communicate through a language barrier. I loved the mountains and the view as we drove. We arrived at my new home around dinner time and were greeted by my host dad. He and another teacher helped me move my belongings up to my new room. In the apartment, I met two of my host sisters: 지수 (Jisoo) who is 18 and spent a year in Nebraska for an exchange program and 호진 (Ho Jin) who is 13 and speaks English very well. I took a picture of the three of us, but unfortunately I had forgotten to put my SD card back into my camera after uploading the last batch of pictures. More pictures later. We ate dinner and the principal was surprised that I like kimchee (I am really starting to love this spicy dish). Conversation was a lot easier with the two girls to help translate. I was able to use a few of the Korean phrases that I have learned and occasionally pick up on the gist of the conversation.

After the principal and teachers left, I took some time to establish my new room. I have a bed, wardrobe, desk, computer, and small porch-ish area that is kind of like a mudroom on the eleventh floor. All of my belongings fit comfortably, so that is a relief :). I really like my host parents and hope that I get to know them better in the next couple of months.

On the whole, it was a great, if slightly emotionally taxing day. It was difficult to say goodbye, especially over a stretched out period of time (I have the rip the bandaid off all at once philosophy). It is crazy that there will be no more nights in the dorms at Jungwon, or group meetings with the Orientation Coordinators. Pretty soon, I will have my teaching schedule and be fully into the swing of this year. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment