21 August 2010

forty-eight hours later

I am pleased to announce that I have now lived in my homestay for two days. It has been a great time so far. On Friday, I hung out at the apartment with my host-sister, Ho Jin. We watched TV, relaxed, and I spent some much-needed time lesson planning and getting ready to teach in a couple of days. When my host parents came home from work, the house got a little crazy. A friend of my host-mom came over and we had fruit and this rice dessert. I had another opportunity to smile and nod and catch one word out of twenty. I think I am picking up more of the language. Then, a swarm of people came to figure out the internet at the flat. I got my computer hooked up to the network (YAY!!!) as well as my ipod touch. In addition to my computer, my host family moved their computers around and installed an internet phone. I have yet to figure all of that out, but I did watch BBC in English today.

This morning, I woke up and had breakfast with my host mom and Ho Jin. Then Ho Jin left to go to a music competition. She plays the violin. My host mom, her friend (that I had met yesterday) and I attended the competition and went out to lunch afterward. I got several stares for my white skin by random people. My host mom was very happy to explain that I was staying with her for the year while I taught English. Later this evening, after my host father got home, we drove to where I will catch the bus to school and the drove out to Galsan Elementary School. There was construction going on, but is was great to see the campus and imagine teaching there. We then drove to the middle school where my host father works. He likes to help with the gardening at the school as well as teaching. Then we drove about half an hour to Hemi Castle, a historical landmark. When we got to the castle, I handed my camera to my host father, to take a picture. I took over taking pictures for the whole visit, which I thought was really funny. It was interesting to look at the buildings, but it was hard to casually read at various locations that this was where they tortured Catholics in the late 1800s. At Hemi Castle, we met up with the English teacher from my host father's school. He wandered around the castle and then went out to dinner with us. We had a meal where we fried pork (it looked like thick pieces of bacon) and then put the meat, this really yummy red sauce, and vegetables in a piece of lettuce ate it in one bite. It is now another one of my favourite meals. On the way home from dinner, we went to the Yellow Sea coast-about half an hour from my apartment. The water was beautiful at night.

It was wonderful to spend time with my host family, and to see them out of the apartment. I especially liked talking with Ho Jin and having her more comfortable with translating, when necessary. This should be a great year.

Here I am with my host family!
This is Ho Jin and the English teacher I met.
I am attempting a traditional Korean game, complete 
with purse and high heels.
 Ho Jin and me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment